Mexico – Yoga in Paradise
TULUM MEXICO March 1-8, 2014
Occasionally there will be an opportunity that could awaken for you a true connection and appreciation for the beauty and joy of life. Many who have participated in our “Yoga in Paradise” retreat at Maya Tulum (Mexico) have had such an experience…some changing their lives in ways they never could have imagined. Maya Tulum is a magnificent retreat center bathed by the magical warm waters of the Caribbean Sea in the Yucatan Peninsula. This is the country of the Maya and is alive with physical beauty and spiritual energy. The center is located one and one half hours south of Cancun and lies at the entrance of the Sian Ka’an National Park, an intact nature reserve. The resort is run by Mayan Indians. They are light-hearted, gentle people that delight in serving their guests. The facilities include cabanas for lodging, a large meditation/yoga hall and a large dining area, all beautifully constructed in the Mayan tradition. The cabanas are round, rustic and charming. They are surrounded by windows for striking views of the sea and jungle and are covered with high thatched roof ceilings that give a wonderful sense of openness. The retreat will be guided by KATHY KACENA (Yoga Samadhi Columbia Gorge), JO MATSON (www.joannematsonyoga.com) and DAVID GILLIS (www.sanantonioyoga.com). Kathy has organized and taught retreats at Maya Tulum for the past 14 years. The atmosphere for this retreat will be light-hearted and appropriate for students of all levels who want to deepen their connection to yoga and celebrate life.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
A typical day will include:
- 7:15-8:40: Yoga and meditation
- 8-10: Breakfast; buffet of fabulous Mayan inspired vegetarian cuisine, including ample quantities of fresh fruits, vegetables and grains of southern Mexico; dairy products, coffee, tea, juice and purified water is provided for no extra fee; soft drinks are available for extra charge.
- 11:30-1:0: Various Workshops
- 1:00-3:00: Buffet lunch
- 5:00-6:45: Yoga and meditation
- 7:00: Vegetarian dinner buffet; fish available; bar (added charge)
- Relaxing and walking on the miles of beautiful, empty, white sand beaches or swimming in the marvelous blue-green Caribbean.
The following activities are available but optional. (* indicates an extra charge.)
- Tour of the Sian Ka’an nature reserve and world famous bird sanctuary.*
- Tour of the Mayan ruins at Tulum & Coba.*
- Exploring and swimming in the cenotes. (fresh water pools)
- Massage, facial or other spa treatments*
- Scuba diving *
The morning yoga class will be energizing vinyasa flow, a dynamic sequence of traditional poses linked by breath. It integrates awareness, alignment, balance, strength, flexibility and grace. The flow will be followed by traditional hatha yoga floor poses such as backbends, seated forward bends, twists and inversions. The afternoon class is softer with Yin yoga and gentle vinyasa. Yin yoga features seated and reclining poses passively held 3-5 minutes and focuses on releasing deep connective tissue; this approach marries asana and meditation to create a very deep, quiet practice. For rates and availability contact Kathy at 509-637-4293 or Kacena@gorge.net.
Pictures of Tulum: